Descendants of Thomas Dewey
Back to eleven generations plus
THOMAS DEWEY, born 1606 in England and died April 27, 1648 in Westfield, Ma. m. March 22, 1638 in Windsor, CT to Mrs.Frances (Randall) Clark born before 1621 in Westfield, MA and died in September 27, 1690. [d/o Philip Randall and Joanna Fush] They had six children.
Children of Thomas and Frances:
- John Dewey, (ca. 1639 - 1640)
- Thomas Dewey (1640 - 1690)
- Josiah Dewey, (1641 - 1732) m. Hepzibah Lyman
- Anna Dewey (1643 - )
- Israel Dewey (1645 - 1728)
- Jedediah Dewey (1647 - 1718)
JOSIAH DEWEY, born October 10, 1641 in Windsor CT. and died September 7, 1732 in Lebanon, CT. m. November 6, 1662 in Northampton, MA., Hepzibah Lyman born in 1644 at Windsor, CT. and died June 4, 1732 at Lebanon, CT. [d/o Richard Lyman and wife Hepzibah Ford ] They had eleven children.
Children of Josiah and Hepzibal:
- Hepzibah Dewey (1663 - 1757)
- Mary Dewey (1665 - 1666 )
- Josiah Dewey Jr. (1666 - 1756) m. Mehitable Miller
- John Dewey (1669 - 1761) m. Mary Thomas
- Nathaniel Dewey (1673 - 1763) Twin
- Ebenezer Dewey (1673 - 1711) Twin m. Elizabeth Wright
- Joseph Dewey (1674 - 1682)
- Elizabeth Dewey (1677 - 1771) m. John Webster.
- Experience Dewey (1682 - 1776) Twin
- Joseph Dewey (1682 - 1772) Twin
- Benjamin Dewey (1685 - 1685)
JOHN DEWEY, born February 9, 1669 in Northamption, MA. and died in 1761., m. April 5, 1705 to Mary Thomas who was born January 9, 1668 and died in April of 1764. [d/o Rowland Thomas, Sarah Chapin] They had six children.
Children of John and Mary:
- Judah Dewey. (1706 - 1796)
- Mindwell Dewey (1707 - 1797)
- Jonathan Dewey (1709 - 1759) m. Mary Collier
- Experience Dewey (1713 - 1807)
- David Dewey (1716 - 1806)
- Moses Dewey (1718 - 1808)
JONATHAN DEWEY, born in Lebanon, CT., March 6,, 1709 and died there on December 23, 1759, m. January 11, 1733 in Lebanon, CT Mary Collier (1696 - 1810) [d/o ] They had seven children.
Children of Jonathan and Mary:
- Aaron Dewey, (1734 - 1861) m. Maria Porter
- Hepzibah Dewey (1736 - )
- Johnathan Dewey (1738 - )
- Huldah Dewey (1740 - )
- Rachel Dewey (1742/3 - )
- Elizur Dewey (1745 - )
- Prudence Dewey (1751 - )
AARON DEWEY, born August
25, 1734 in Lebanon, CT. and died aft. 1763., m. January 19, 1758
Maria Porter born June 18, 1721 and died aft. 1863. [d/o Thomas
S. Porter, Thankful Babcock] They had four children.
Children of Aaron and Maria:
- Nathaniel Dewey, (1758 - )
- Aaron Dewey (1759 - )
- Eleazer Dewey (1761 - 1824 ) m. Freelove Booen
- James Dewey (1763 - )
ELEAZER DEWEY, born in Lebanon, CT., August 8, 1761 and died February 12, 1824, in Adams, Jefferson Co., NY m. on August 25, 1783 in Lebanon, CT, Freelove Booen born July 11, 1766 and died in 1861 [d/o ] They had twelve children.
Children of Eleazer and Freelove:
- Jesse Dewey, (1785 - 1875)
- David Dewey (1786 - 1876)
- Hannah Dewey (1788 - 1882)
- Aaron Dewey (1790 - 1840) m. Nancy Gookins (?), m. Charlotte Gookins
- Eleazer Dewey (1792 - 1882)
- Rachel Dewey (1794 - 1888)
- Phebe Dewey (1796 - 1890)
- Francis B. Dewey (1798 - 1888)
- Sarah Dewey (1800 - 1894)
- Amos Dewey (1802 - 1892)
- Sylva Dewey (1804 - 1898)
- Freelove Dewey (1806 - 1892) m. William Stephens
seventh generation: ( Dewey - Stephens Branch )
FREELOVE DEWEY, born December 12, 1806 and died November 5, 1892., m. April 6, 1834 William Stephens born 1800 and died in 1845. [s/o Thomas Stephens and wife Sally Grover] They had three children.
Children of William and Freelove:
- Clement Stephens (1845 - 1869 ) m. Mary Hannah Marsh
- Orren Stephens ( - ) m. Phoebe Wright
- Melissa Stephens ( - ) m. Frank Barns
eighth generation: ( Stephens - Marsh Branch )
CLEMENT STEPHENS, born March 1845 and died September 10, 1869, m.abt. 1866 Mary Hannah Marsh born 1847 and died July 31, 1930. [d/o Wm. Sanford Marsh and wife Hannah Esther Coats] They had two children.
Children of Clement and Mary Hannah:
- Esther May Stephens (1867 - 1956 ) m. Lorenzo Guinup, m. Mattison Abner Kitts.
- Aaron Stephens (1869 - 1873 )
ninth generation: ( Guniup - Stephens Branch )
LORENZO GUINUP born in the Town of Fine NY area on June 12, 1867 and died about 1950 in the Syracuse NY area. m. 1st in August 1885, Esther May Stephens born September 22, 1867 in the Town of Fine, St. Lawrence Co., NY and died June 9, 1956 in Gloversville, Fulton County, NY. [d/o Clement Stephens and wife Mary Hannah Marsh] They had three children and were divorced September 11, 1900. Esther re-married March 31, 1902 to Mattison Abner Kitts, born January 8, 1863 in Fowler, NY and he died May 29, 1930 at Caroga Lake, NY. They had no children but was "father" to Esthers three children. Lorenzo re-married about 1900 in the Syracuse NY area and had several children by that union. Mattison "read the law" in the Fine, NY area and later operated the Kitts Insurance in Gloversville, NY. Lorenzo was a blacksmith and had a "smithy" in the Fine, NY area. He later worked and retired from the railroad in the Syracuse NY area.
Children of Lorenzo and Esther May:
- Ona Isabelle Guinup Born in Fine NY on March 29, 1887. She died July 24, 1978 at Watertown, NY. m. abt. 1907 to James Edgar Richmire and had two children.
- Harold Sanford Guinup born in the Town of Fine, NY August 16, 1894 and died in Gloversville, NY on December 3, 1981. M. on April 27, 1920 in Gloversville, NY, Mary Shutts. They had one daughter.
- Leila Annora Guinup, born in the Town of Fine, St. Lawrence Co., NY on September 7, 1896 and died in Gloversville, Fulton Co., NY, on June 25, 1982, m. Francis Mead Prentice. They had two children.
tenth generation: ( Guinup - Prentice Branch )
FRANCIS MEAD PRENTICE (1894 - 1968) m. 1st on April 15, 1922, Nellie Mae Wessels (1890 - 1928) [d/o Frederick Wessels and wife Katherine Pope of Endicott, NY]. m. 2nd on February 13, 1932, Leila Annora Guinup (1896 - 1982) [d/o Lorenzo Guinup and wife Esther May Stephens of Fine, NY]
Children of Francis and Nellie:
1. Eleanor Eileen b.1924, m. Gerald L. Weeks
- Paula Joan b. 1945 m. Philip Cacciatore
- Janet Lee b. 1947 m. Paul Hissin
- Brian Scott b. 1956 m. Treva ?
2. Gene Francis b. 1926 D.Y
3. Roger Ernest (1928 - 1992) m. Constance G. McCormick
- Edward b. 1946 m. Melinda McGuire, m. Chris Eveline Abbott
- David b. 1948 m. Peggy Williams
- Mary Kaye b. 1956 m. Jeff Bassett, m. Edward Bartholomew
- Gregory Francis b. 1958 m. Michelle May Gwendolyn
- James Roger b. 1960 m. Janet Elizabeth Lawton, m. Donna Marie Silvey
- Susan Elaine b. 1961 m. Timothy Snellings
Children of Francis and Leila:
1. Grant Mattison b. 1933 m. Gladys Alberta ODell
2. George Elwin b. 1936 m. Norma Jean Covert
- Jerilyn Elise b. 1966 m. James Fairman
- Jacquelyn Noelle b. 1971, m. Michael Patrick Fagan
- Carolynne Jean b. 1999
GRANT MATTISON PRENTICE b. 1933, m. on August 14, 1955 to Gladys Alberta ODell RN, b. 1933, [d/o Joseph Edwin ODell and wife Ruth Electa Mattison of Lake George, Warren County, NY] They had three children.
Children of Grant and Gladys:
1. Ericia Ann b. 1957 m. Scott Warren Mercer
2. Terry Lee b. 1958 m/d Barbara Ann Baker m. Jennifer Rebecca Doherty
- Julianne Elisabeth Prentice b. 2001
- Derik Andrew Doherty b. 1988
3. Roger Mead b. 1960 m. Mary Christine Payne
- Rebecca Marie b. 1988
- Matthew James b. 1994
Additions and/or correction are always welcome:
Grant M. Prentice
Return to Main Page
last update 03/21/02